The SN74HC595 is a popular standard logic shift registers chip. I has been used for driving dot matrix display, LEDs, relays etc. Driving a multi-digit serial seven-segment display is very convenience since the multiplexing method could not drive any display that's exceed 10 digits. However using a shift registers chip to drive the display yields a high brightness.
![]() |
| Arduino Testing |
![]() |
| Finished PCB Assembly |
If we have any individual-digit seven-segment display (any common anode or common cathode) we can put them together to make a serial display module manually. I have a dozen of the SN74HC595, common cathode seven-segment display, singled-sided copper clad board, passive components etc. So I want to make my own DIY display module. I have a Canon Laser printer with a good quality ink that can cover the circuit pattern well from acid penetration during etching. A toner-transfer method is suitable for this DIY single-sided PCB since the overall circuit is not complex.
![]() |
| Copper Pattern Transferring to Copper Clad Board |
I use the traditional Ferric Chloride acid etching yielded an acceptable quality with low cost.
![]() |
| Finished PCB Etching and Drilling |
Using a stand-drill with a machine-tool drill bit can easily drill all component pin holds of this FR-4 fiber glass PCB.
![]() |
| Digits Testing Using an Arduino Uno |
We can control this serial display easily via an Arduino or a PIC microcontroller using their SPI interface. For more detail about this display see this post.





No comments:
Post a Comment